The project

Referring to the unofficial twinnings that reflect Berlin’s current immigrant population instead of the official equivalents of the city, the project explores the city’s long tradition of urban horticulture and reveals ideas of health in the widest sense: as balance and imbalance as well as on a societal and personal level, looking at how people navigate and share resources within a city.

lunedì 4 aprile 2011

The women of the Rosenduft Gaerten

going to rosenduft gaerten

the new season
small steams

the women

I arrived as a refugee in Berlin from Bosnia in 1995, because of the war. In my country I had a very big garden where I cultivated a lot of vegetables, I am fond of them! Indeed I really love Sataras, that is mixed vegetables, just vegetables. Moreover we use many of them for medicinal purposes: peppermint for istance and also roots, many different ones. Also parseley is used, it’s very good, dried to drink, it’s also good for bladder. However when I am ill what feel me better it is just börek! We eat a lot but many different sorts, here it’s known just with cheese and meat, but we have it also with potatoes, pumpkin, with all possible.


Almira-Ada, Bosnian 
cultivating

the new plants

the women

great efforts!

I had to leave my country when I was 16 because of the war. There I helped my parents in the garden and we had almost everything: cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, carrots... here in berlin I have my own garden and I do not miss any ingredient because, coming from an European country, on gardenplants, ist almost the same as in Germany.
Seka, Bosnian
planting seeds

rosenduft gaerten
 
I come from the very southest part of Nigeria and arrived in Germany five years ago, actually when I met my husband. He is from Berlin. And since when I arrived here I missed nature, because here we are so far from it! In my country instead - even if I grew up in a big city - nature was much closer  (even the moon, that was so bright) and when I came back to my village, every family used to have its own farm or fish. In our garden we cultivated a lot of vegetables, they are very common in the South and we ate a lot! The most popular we had a sort of "fluted pumpkin" but it is very different from yours and very healthy and nutritious. The Igbos call it ugu but we (the Efiks) call it ikong, I do not know the botanical name... Unfortunately I can find it just in one or two shops here in Berlin, but it is too expensive and too dried. So I have tried to bring some seeds from my town and I planted here. They grew up, but they were not so good because of the weather. In fact, also in Nigeria it grows just in the South because it needs humid soil.
Susann, Nigerian

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento